Monday, August 2, 2010

Experiencing DEODATO's Music

Thirty years ago, I bought my first music cassette tape of Eumir Deodato. During those years in my college days, I was influenced by my batchmate Royce to listen to Jazz music and one of the musicians he introduced to me was Deodato. The music of Deodato is characterized by repeated rythms with his keyboard as the lead and with back-up of sounds from a horn, flute, trumpet, percussions, drums and guitars. When you listen to his music, you will imagine a complete orchestra but actually his band consists of only about 7 to 8 musicians.

After thirty years after my first exposure to Deodato, I didn't realize that I will watch him perform live here in Manila last July 31, 2010 at the SMX. Before going to this concert, I first watched YouTube videos of Deodato. During the Manila concert, I noticed that the quality of his music remains outstanding whether he performs in Finland, USA or the Philippines. His band may be different for every location, but his performance and music doesn't change. In the Manila concert, his back-up band were all Filipino artists - very versatile and talented. Each musician showed their talent by doing solo acts.

Watching a Deodato concert is like going back in time. For one, the audience is composed of old timers - grey haired or bald headed fans. I had influenced my wife, Apple with Deodato's music ; that's why Apple has also became a fan too. Listening to Deodato's music is a mixed experience - exhilirating, relaxing, highstrung and passionate - depending on the musical piece he plays. I enjoyed the music especially my favorites: Adam's Hotel, Speak Low, Also Sprach Zarathustra, Baubles, Bangles & Beads and Carly & Carole. I bought a two-CD album at the concert site which is a bargain for P300 being a collector's edition.

Watch this YouTube concert of Deodato in Finland. The performance is the same as what I experienced.

No comments: