Saturday, August 28, 2010

Chicharon Bulaklak

I haven't eaten a chicharon bulaklak for a long time. I don't know how many years since my last taste of that crispy chicharon bulaklak dipped in vinegar. It's a favorite among beer drinkers. Chicharon bulaklak is fried pork omentum. The omentum is "a sheet of fatty tissue that hangs down in front of the intestines."


When I read about P.Noy's love for the chicharon bulaklak, my craving to taste it once more was ignited. I looked for one at Lapid's Trinoma but it has long been removed from their specialties since May 2010 according to the sales guy. When I went out for dinner with my DLSU friends to celebrate the end of the term, we ate at Gerry's Grill (Trinoma) and I was again disappointed. No chicharon bulaklak in their menu. It was also removed in their menu. "Maybe P.Noy has hoarded all the chicharon bulaklaks", I wondered.
My search and craving for the chicharon bulaklak was finally ended when I visited Cherry Foodarama. There is a stall there called Peanut World which obviously sells different kinds of peanuts and also the elusive chicharon bulaklak. I bought 100 gms for P102.00 and brought it home for dinner. Peanut World's chicharon bulaklak is not as good as the taste that I remember and imagined. But anyway, now, I know where I can buy that chicharon bulaklak. And I don't have to go around town to look for it.

PS: Don't let P.Noy read this blog. He might buy and hoard all of the chicharon bulaklak of Peanut World.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

try lapid's stalls at s&r branches.

Tita Tessie C. said...

Bogs, the best chicharon bulaklak is served at Everybody's Cafe
in San Fernando, Pampanga. Have lunch there before you go to
Floridablanca.

Love and regards,
Tita Tess