Saturday, July 18, 2009

Pinoy Takoyaki

I am not a takoyaki fan but I eat takoyaki. When I was in Japan, I remember eating takoyaki with my friends whenever we go to Osu kannon temple in Nagoya. I tasted also the Gindako takoyaki near the train station at Musahikoyama in Tokyo. After watching one episode of Kuitan 2, where the detective tasted the takoyaki of the different shops in Osaka to solve a mystery, my craving to eat takoyaki was ignited.

So I went around Manila and Quezon City searching for the Pinoy takoyaki. In this food trip, I tasted takoyaki by Gabuki, Musashi, Samurai, Ton Ton Tei and Kuya Chito’s. I remember eating my first pinoy takoyaki from Samurai more than ten years ago. It was good then. But now the balls shrunk and the “kulangot” size octopus seems to have vanished. The Pinoy takoyaki now consists more of the batter, vegetables and alternatives to octopus such as processed crab meat or squid. A new name replacing “takoyaki” should be invented for the Pinoy version with no octopus since “Tako” means octopus in Japanese. Other alternatives to octupus that the Pinoy should try are shrimp, scallops, mussels or even diced squid balls.

In my takoyaki tasting adventure, I became addicted to Kuya Chito’s Takuyaki at the LRT2 Recto Station. I think this is a Pinoy version of Takoyaki. Observed that they call it "Takuyaki" not Takoyaki.

Kuya Chito’s version of takoyaki are balls made with shredded vegetable fillings (I noticed some noodle fillings also) and no octopus. The baked takoyaki is drizzled with mayo, topped with chicken, fish, pork (or beef?) flakes and spicy (which I always choose) or sweet and sour sauce. Wow! The takoyaki was crispy outside and the vegetables also inside were crunchy. The spicy sauce mixed with mayo makes you eat more. One serving is not enough after eating Kuya Chito's Takuyaki unlike the other pinoy versions (Gabuki, Musashi and Samurai) - Nakakaumay because of the sauce. It's the sauce and the pork (or beef?) shavings that make Kuya Chito's unique from the others. Three balls cost P24.00. If you prefer the authentic Japanese taste and sauce, Kuya Chito’s is not for you, but in my case, I love the taste of the crispy balls with the spicy sauce. My only negative observation about Kuya Chito’s is the way they cook their takoyaki is a bit messy (the vegetables scatter on the hot plate) because they use tongs instead of a pointed stick or metal (watch the video below on how takoyaki is prepared in Japan - very systematic. After watching this video, I'm sure you'll crave to eat one).

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

try takoyaki @ octoboy 670 banawe st. corner retiro st. q.c.

tracy said...

nothing beats the the takoyaki in cartimar, pasay city. available only during weekends in that japanese grocery store (forgot the name). takoyaki in kido manga (robinsons ermita) is also good

eden said...

me too, i've tried authentic takoyaki hunting here in manila.
i can say maraming disappointments. hehe though kido manga in robinsons place is really good. =)

Chito said...

Try the takoyaki in divisoria, 2nd floor. The best, I tell you. Particularly the sauce ^_^ Ahhh.

Mr. DigS said...

Dec 11, 2009. I was at Robinson's Manila and found two takoyaki shops. The first one was Kido Manga which was suggested by our readers. Three peices of takoyaki at Kido Manga costs P35 (regular) or P40 (special) - special has the fish flakes. The Kido Manga takoyaki balls were good and soft but the sauce was sweet. Another shop I found at the 3rd level food court was "Tako Yasai." Four balls cost only P30.00. This version has biggesr balls and crispy outside. They use the yakisoba sauce with nori powder on top. It was also good BUT I still prefer Kuya Chito's spicy sauce with pork or beef toppings.

Unknown said...

experience the real deal only at Octoboy!

Mr. DigS said...

We tried Octoboy at Banawe, QC. They have diff. flavors. Yes, they were good.

Anonymous said...

Guys.. If you really love takoyaki then you should try Octoboy @ Banawe near corner Retiro in Q.C. The taste is so authentic nd nothing comparable to others within the metro. Price difference is minimal compare to 'vegetable' takoyakis and it has the real stuff "octopus". yummy.. I think it's really worth the try. probably the nearest taste that of Japan's original Gindaco takoyakis, plus very resonable in terms of price.

Mr. DigS said...

There is a Kuya Chito's at Robinson's Galleria - Ortigas.

Mr. DigS said...

In my last visit at LRT2 Recto Station, I was so excited to eat takoyaki, BUT I was disappointed to see the Kuya Chito's stall is gone.. he hu hu.. NOW I am on the search for Kuya Chito's Takuyaki..

Anonymous said...

must try yasai chikara takoyaki natikman ko sa world trade nung food n beverage expo that was june 2011 masarap at naiiba ang sauce.wala pa cla dito sa manila from davao cla since 1995 sana magkaroon dito sa manila,try try try!

greg said...

try niyo yung tamayaki ng tea monkey, recommended is their king kong tamayaki