Monday, January 26, 2009

Tatlong Kwento ni Lola Basyang


"Tatlong Kwento ni Lola Basyang" chronicles three stories by Severino Reyes (as retold by Christine Bellen) through dance (ballet). Luz Fernandez acts as Lola Basyang who gives the general plot to each story. The production was a collaborative effort of Ballet Manila, Anvil, and Star City.

Ang Prinsipe ng mga Ibon is about a princess who fell in love with the prince of birds. Her king/ father is against the relationship, thus, the drama. Liza Macuja played the princess who was distraught and torn with her love for her father and her lover. Ang Kapatid ng Tatlong Maria is an epic-adventure about a young man in search for his three lost and bewitched sisters. His quest brought him in the kingdom under the sea, the kingdom of the birds, and the kingdom of fierce animals. Ang Mahiwagang Biyolin is a comedy about a young boy maltreated by his heartless employer. He was able to get back at his tormentor when he was given a magical violin that can make people around him do comical acts.
Since I'm not too artisticaly inclined, I didn't expect to be so moved by the emotion of the dance. Shameful it is to admit but I was teary-eyed at the end of the Ang Prinsipe ng mga Ibon story. My kids - ages 9 and 3 1/2 - likewise enjoyed the dance so much that they continue to rave about it long after we have left the theatre. In fact, my eldest commented that we should keep na eye on what's next (that is, the next show after the Lola Basyang run). My 3-year old loved (what she calls) the "sad story" (Prinsipe ng mga Ibon) and "Mr. Bigote" (Mahiwagang Biyolin). She said she wants to learn ... not ballet, but violin! when she grows up.
Ballet Manila was organized to bring ballet closer to people (as far as I know). And after seeing the Tatlong Kwento ni Lola Basyang, I take my hat off to Liza Macuja and her associates. It indeed made the "dance of the elite" closer to mortals like me. Kudos to all those who made the Lola Basyang production possible.

Lola Basyang runs every Saturday at the Aliw Theatre, Star City Complex, at 7 pm. Ticket price is only P100 - that's a run-away especially when you see the full stage production and costume designs. I'm not ashamed to admit - I can't get enough of "Lola Basyang." (Call Tel. 832 6121 to 25 for inquiries).

No comments: