Thursday, June 24, 2021

Roberto's SIOPAO at Iloilo's Calle Real

 

Filled with exotic pork adobo, egg ad ham chinese sausage, Roberto's King siopao is something not to miss when you visit Iloilo city

Infront of Roberto's at Calle Real

I am sure everyone has his/her favorite siopao. During my younger years when my Dad was still with us, we were exposed to Mamonluk siopao. During my college years, our favorite was Kowloon's siopao - jumbo, asado, pork, longaniza and more. Of course, there are varieties of siopao from other restos like Chowking, Ling Nam, Causeway and more. 


When I visited Iloilo city's Calle Real - the CBD Heritage zone of Iloilo for our CHERISH Project, our host, Dr. Bimbo Ibabao of UPV, made sure that we pass by at Roberto's so that we can taste the special siopao. We (from Metro Manila) are not aware of Roberto's so we are not excited. But Dr. Bimbo, lined-up and bought the siopao for take-out and we were returning to Manila so we were able to taste Roberto's siopao only at the airport. SURPRISE! Roberto's siopao is indeed very good. It has tasty fillings and the size is generous and the price is reasonable. So whenever, I visit Iloilo City, I made sure that I have a take home of Roberto's Siopao. 


Roberto's siopao comes in four varieties - each variety has a unique or extra filling like longaniza, egg.  The varieties are Pork Adobo with egg, Jumbo is a pork adobo with egg plus  Chinese sausage chicken, Queen (Pork Chinese Adobo with egg plus bacon) and King (Pork Chinese adobo with egg plus Ham-Chinese sausage). And which variety is my favorite among the four? I like them all. Roberto's siopao is one of a kind. Roberto's siopao beats the other siopao's that I know.  Roberto's siopao is part of the culture of Iloilo and I hope the owners will continue to serve the same quality of siopao for the future generations.



Another secret of Iloilo Calle Real Heritage zone is the Buho Bakery. "Buho" means hole in the wall. Indeed the bakery has a hole in the wall to serve customers during the night since it is open 24 hours. 

The Hole in the Wall of Buho Bakery

Sample pastry from Buho - tasty and affordable

When in Iloilo City, make sure you visit Calle Real Heritage Zone and you will see the heritage buildings of Iloilo. 



No comments: