Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Remembering Dad

Randy Pausch’s “The Last Lecture” is both a book and a movie (This can be viewed at YouTube) which celebrates the dreams of his childhood that he has realized. “The Last Lecture” is Randy’s farewell lecture at Carnegie Mellon University in 2007 before he died of cancer in 2008. He delivered this lecture specifically for his three little children – the oldest then was Dylan at five years old – so when they get older they will know who their father was and hopefully they will learn lessons from Randy's life as a son, father, teacher and computer science professor.

After reading the book and watching the movie, I reflected about my past and my own father. My Dad also died very early at only 43 years old, when I was just only nine years old. What do I remember about him? Not so much now, but there are still images of him that really stick in my memories. Let me share a list of ten memories about him..

  • He is strict and a disciplinarian. He keeps a narra wood which we were afraid he may use whenever he gets angry at us. But he never used it on us – not because we were behaved but because he loved us.

  • He loves to tease people as a sign of his fondness (“lambing”) for them. He calls his closest friends and relatives names like “Kotat”, “Bulugan”, “Kukang”.

  • He loves watching movies – only English movies, no Tagalog movies. I remember our regular trips at the movie houses in Cubao (Odeon, Remar, New Frontier) and Avenida (Dynasty, Galaxy, Cinerama, Ideal, Podmon).

  • He loves to cook and eat. I remember that he loves to grill a specific type of fish similar to the Sanma in Japan and cooks adobo of a certain type of bird which he always buy whenever we come from Pampanga. He likes roasting chestnuts during Christmas.

  • He loves San Miguel Beer. Every night he drinks one bottle of beer.

  • He loves dogs – specifically the German Shepherds. Our dogs then were named Laika and Brutus. We have cages at the back of our house built for these dogs.

  • He loves taking photos of his family and friends. We have family photo albums and in most of the pictures he is not there coz he’s the one taking them.

  • He loves going outing with relatives usually swimming at Los Banos’ hot spring pools.

  • He wants his kids to enjoy life with various activities and toys. He taught me how to play chess. He brought us to swimming lessons at San Beda College. I remember when in a toy store he asked me and my Kuya to choose the toy we want for Christmas. I chose a plastic military Jeep (similar to the Rat Patrol) and my brother got a wooden train.

  • He was proud of his children. I remember occasions where he wants his friends to see my brother and I to show-off in a gun draw.

I wonder how will I be remembered by my two kids as a father. Geof, in the recent “Father and Son Day” at Ateneo, wrote me a letter and thanked me for teaching him in his Math lessons. I hope Geof becomes good in Math. That will be my legacy to him.

4 comments:

Dr. Emby Binoe said...

doc andy, happy father's day! your two children are so proud of you...there's a great resemblance between your father and you! :)
methinks, nos. 3,4,7,9 of what you remember most of your dad, is what you've inherited and been doing to your children. :D
i'm proud that my mentor's father is as wise as him.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, daddy! (Mauro Oreta) I miss you so much. Thank you for making me what I am today and for what I have accomplished. Being a man of wisdom, principles, and integrity, you taught me so much about life, love, strength, humility, sacrifices, and values on family, God, and friendship. You always put your family first, striving everyday to make us feel special. The love you showed us is priceless and will NEVER be forgotten; I am so proud to be your daughter and I thank God everyday for having blessed me with such pure happiness and love you have filled my life for those 13 years with you, something which many people may not even experience in a lifetime. Happy Birthday and Happy Valentines to the “BEST” father in the world! Mahal kita!

Always, Malou Oreta-Samson

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, daddy!(Mauro Oreta) I miss you so much. Thank you for making me what I am today and for what I have accomplished. Being a man of wisdom, principles, and integrity, you taught me so much about life, love, strength, humility, sacrifices, and values on family, God, and friendship. You always put your family first, striving everyday to make us feel special. The love you showed us is priceless and will NEVER be forgotten; I am so proud to be your daughter and I thank God everyday for having blessed me with such pure happiness and love you have filled my life for those 13 years with you, something which many people may not even experience in a lifetime. Happy Birthday and Happy Valentines to the “BEST” father in the world! Mahal kita!

Always, Malou Oreta-Samson

Unknown said...

Just to add a few more to your list, he being my Dad as well.

He prefers big American cars. Remember our Olds Mobile batman car.

He's got sweaty hands (pasmado). Which is why he wears leather gloves when he drives.

Also, I think the fish he used to grill was either tamban or salinas.